On May 9, 2018, in the Charles F. Brush High School Performing Arts Center, a special event was held for the Annual Senior Scholarship Awards. Proud seniors who earned a GPA of 3.0 or greater and their parents/families took the stage as they enjoyed this special evening. All students were recognized for their accomplishments, and monetary scholarships were presented to many of these students.
The Brush Alumni Association was proud to be a part of this celebration, administrating 11 scholarships which, this year, totaled $19,000. The first scholarship given by the Alumni Association was in 1993, when Mr. & Mrs. Alan Skinner and Mr. & Mrs. Don Lamberton (1947 classmates) established the John Jacque Memorial Scholarship. Since that time, the Alumni Association has distributed nearly $193,500 to deserving Brush seniors. This year, the $1000 John Jacque Memorial Scholarship was awarded to Nick Malenda. Other recipients were:
• Jasmine Leaks-Gaskin---$1000 Thomas J. Murnick Memorial Scholarship
• Elizabeth Frey---$2000 Junie Speed Davis Blackmore Scholarship
• Bradford Eason---$500 Class of 1984 Scholarship
• Timothy Carlin---$5000 The Jo Ann Soderquist Kramer Scholarship for Excellence in Physics & English, Class of 1960
• Danielle Johnson---$1000 Brush High Alumni Association Scholarship for Teacher Education
• Bradford Eason---$2500 Class of ’61 Scholarship
• Evan Mularo---$2500 Class of ’61 Scholarship
• Jasemine Jackson-Winston---$500 Jack E. Garvey Memorial Scholarship
• Nick Malenda--- $1000 Richard C. Love Memorial Scholarship
• Ashley Gillam---$1000 Eugene A. Torok Scholarship
• Hakeem Moore---$1000 Nick N. Bernstein Scholarship (first annual)
Presenters at the Awards Program included: Bonnie Abbey (class of 1968), Scholarship Committee Chair; Mark McCann (class of 1984); Brian & Kristin Love, children of Richard C. Love; Dana Marie DeCapite and Christine Murnick DeCapite, granddaughters of Thomas J. Murnick; and Lynne Garvey Hodge who presented her father’s scholarship winner for the last time after 20+ years.
By contributing to these scholarships, Brush alums have not only provided monetary help to these recipients’ futures, but also to the future of Brush High School, the South Euclid/Lyndhurst community, and perhaps the world! We thank you, Brush Alumni, for your years of loyalty and caring. If you would like to create a scholarship in your name, your class, or someone else’s name, please contact me at email@example.com. And, if you wish to contribute to any of the named scholarships above, please note that on your envelope when you return it with your dues contribution.