State test scores show sustained progress, areas for improvement
The South Euclid-Lyndhurst City School District continued its trend of strong academics and steady improvement as the District maintained its State rating of “Effective” on the 2009-2010 Local Report Card for the tenth year.
“There is a great deal of encouraging news in these results,” said SE-L Superintendent Dr. William Zelei. “Given the recent staff reductions and this time of significant fiscal constraints and budget reductions for everyone, we have been able to maintain a strong level of academic focus, and it shows in our results. Nevertheless, there remains a lot of work to do, and there are areas of concern in our results that require special attention.”
“Our goal remains to increase our overall rating and to see improvements in every building,” continued Dr. Zelei. “’Effective’ is a good rating, but we won’t rest until we attain the top rating of Excellent, as our community deserves. I am confident that with our current programs and personnel, and the implementation of additional programs, we will achieve that goal.”
“While we will build from this ‘Effective’ rating, there are results that indicate a clear need for immediate improvement. One area of concern is the reduction in the rating at two of our elementary schools, from Excellent to Effective. Another includes reductions in some subject areas at our other schools. We understand some of the causes of these declines, especially the increased number of students with significant academic or learning challenges. We have developed an extensive academic improvement plan and are already taking steps to target programs and services to those students,” concluded Dr. Zelei.
Highlights from SE-L’s 2009-2010 State Test Scores:
- Sunview Elementary School received a rating of “Excellent.”
- Brush High School and Adrian, Greenview, and Rowland Elementary Schools earned an “Effective” rating.
- Memorial Junior High School increased its scores, although it maintained its rating of Continuous Improvement.
- Brush High School has a graduation rate of 96 percent.
- Overall, the District’s attendance rate is 94 percent.
- Reading scores at all but one testing level beat the State’s standard scores.