Two important documents will be released in the next few days. The new State Report Card on Friday, September 12, 2014 and the first-ever South Euclid Lyndhurst Schools’ Quality Profile will be released on Monday, September 15, 2014.
As you may know, the Ohio Department of Education created a new school report card rating system in 2013 that raised the standard for student performance. Although the bar was raised again in 2014 you will see that some of our report card letter grades have remained the same, while other letter grades have shown improvement.
When analyzing what our students and staff actually accomplished, it is clear that academic achievement continues to rise here in SEL. Improvements are being made, however, we will not be satisfied until we reach higher levels of achievement. Listed below are notable improvements in various areas:
• Students in 7th grade made double digits gains in Math
• First time in over six years SEL 8th graders scored above 90% in Reading
• Best performance in Reading for 4th and 5th grade students in the past five years
• Best performance in Math for students in 4th, 7th and 8th grade in the past five years
• Academic improvement demonstrated in 14 out of 17 academic measures
• 90.3% of our Third Graders met the demand of the Third Grade Reading Guarantee
• BHS 2014 Graduates are now attending top-ranking colleges such as Princeton, Case Western Reserve and The Ohio State University
The second document, the SEL Quality Profile, is a community-oriented companion to the State’s District Report Card. It expands the conversation and reflects what our communities’ value in their schools. There are many dimensions of quality that are important to the education of our children. This Quality Profile includes additional accountability measures that define a high quality education.
With the state’s emphasis on testing and the focus on a cumbersome grading system, many top-notch Ohio school districts feel that much of what our students and staff are accomplishing gets lost. To that end, over 50 school districts in the state teamed up to create the Quality Profile. We will post the South Euclid Lyndhurst Schools’ Profile on September 15th. I hope you will take the time to read it over. You will certainly see why the South Euclid Lyndhurst Schools is an exciting school district where diversity is celebrated and achievement is honored.