Reflections Art Program Information
Calling all artists - it is time for Reflections. This year's theme is "I Matter Because..." SEL students share your stories through words, song, photos, drawings, or film and tell us why you matter. Each of you is special - we want to hear from you about YOU!!!
Reflections: It's All About the Arts
The Reflections Art Program has been bringing the arts to life for more than 10 million students since 1969. Ohio PTA and its members, families and kids are on the forefront of this amazing program, which increases community awareness of the importance of arts in education.
Reflections encourages students of all ages to:
- Unleash creative talents and be inspired
- Express themselves imaginatively in their artwork
- Experience the fun and joy of making art
- Tap into critical-thinking skills to create art inspired by the theme
- Receive positive recognition for their original works of art.
Participation is Easy, Exciting, and Empowering
The Reflections categories include:
- Dance Choreography
- Film Production
- Music Composition
- Visual Arts
The grade divisions include:
- Primary (PreK – Grade 2)
- Intermediate (Grades 3 – 5)
- Middle School (Grades 6-8)
- High School (Grades 9 – 12)
All Reflection entries are submitted first to your local SEL PTAs/PTSAs unit where they are recognized and judged in their grade level divisions. The Special Artist division celebrates all student artists with special needs. PTAs then choose a selection of entries to be judged by local PTA units, which may then be sent on to councils or districts for consideration. The final Reflection entries submitted to Ohio PTA are then judged at the state level and are considered for Award of Excellence (1st), Award of Outstanding Achievement (2nd) and Award of Merit. (3rd). Award of Excellence (1st) entries are then sent on to National PTA to represent Ohio PTA in the final National PTA judging round.
Entries due to the home school by MONDAY NOVEMBER 30th - Judging will be completed by December 4th
All entries will be submitted to each home school and will be collected by SEL PTA Council Reps to be transported to the Board Office. We will set up all entries on tables in the BOE gym so that we can bring in an impartial judge. After judging all items will be returned to each school with ribbons displayed. We are asking for each school to designate an area where the artwork can be displayed for the students to enjoy. Prior to break any projects that have been designated to go to the state competition will be picked by so that they can be packaged and shipped to Columbus. We will need help with displaying the items in the schools. SEL PTA Council will work with Charbel to create a virtual art show during the month of December that will be shared with the district admin as well as each school so it can be promoted and celebrated.
How can you help?
1) Help spread the word by posting information on your district social media sites, parent resource pages, announcements and any other forms of communication available to you.
2) Encourage English, art, media and music teachers to share the information with their students (in the past the more vocal staff member have been with talking about the program/theme the more entries we have received)
3) Designate an area to collect the entries as they are submitted. Each entry must have an entry form attached - find those attached.
4) Identify an area where the entries can be posted in a high traffic area so that all students who are in the building can enjoy the artwork.
5) Identify students/parent helpers/staff members who would be willing and able to post the artwork in the designated areas.
6) Celebrate the student's stories