Goals of Gifted Education
• To provide programs that address the social and emotional needs of gifted students.
• To advocate for gifted students – those identified for STEP UP and those included in ALPHA programming. (STEP UP students are identified in the area of Superior Cognitive. ALPHA students are identified in the area of Specific Academic. A student may be identified in more than one area.)
• To employ state mandated (H.B. 282) in the screening, assessment and identification of students who are gifted.
• To create a gifted student academic plan for STEP UP students that will address both academic and non-academic goals.
• To create a written education plan for ALPHA students that addresses their area(s) of strength.
• To obtain student, parent, teacher and administrator participation in the implementation and evaluation of the goals of the student plan.
• To work collaboratively with classroom teachers in order to develop and adapt curricula, materials, and teaching strategies that adjust the breadth, depth, and pace of learning for high-ability students.
• To coordinate programs that encourage students to demonstrate their abilities and be recognized for their achievements.