On Thursday, September 20th, Greenview and Rowland participated in The Fathers Walk. Sponsored by Cuyahoga County and the Father Walk Committee, the event encouraged men to take their children to school. Greenview and Rowland joined more than 700 cities and over a million fathers who participated in the Fathers Walk.
Fathers, grandfathers, foster fathers, step-fathers, uncles, cousins, big brothers, significant male caregivers and friends of the family participated in The Fathers Walk. As part of the walk, each school hosted a celebration of fathers where students and fathers shared what their relationship meant to them. At the end of the program, the fathers cited The Fathers Walk Pledge for Fathers and Men, which is:
- I will take my children or a child to school and I will be at school on Sept. 20 to encourage all children to do their best every day at school.
- I am responsible for the education of my child
- I will volunteer at my child's school three times this school year
- I will pick up my child's progress report or grade report when required.
- I will meet with my child's teachers at least two times this year and support them in educating my child.
- I will teach my child the value of family as well as the value of education.
- I will work with my child's mother or guardian to achieve the best academic and social outcomes for my child even if I don not live with my child.