Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: What is Credit Flexibility?

A: Credit Flexibility is a program that allows students to earn high school credits in the following ways:
●          Completing coursework in the traditional setting
●          Testing out or showing mastery of course content
●          Pursuing educational options such as online course, independent
Internships, service learning, research-based projects, dual
            credit college-high 
school programs, distance learning educational

Q: Which courses are available through Credit Flexibility?

A: All high school credit-generating courses are available for credit flexibility but approval for each course will be dependent upon the South Euclid-Lyndhurst School District’s capacity to monitor and assess the plan and the student’s ability to meet the academic requirements of the course.

Q: What educational opportunities are available under Credit Flexibility?

A: Students may pursue educational options such as online courses, independent study, internships, service learning, research-based projects, dual credit college- high school programs, distance learning, and educational travel in addition to testing out or demonstrating mastery learning in specific course content.

Q: How many credits can I earn through Credit Flexibility?

A: Students are not limited in the number of courses or the number of credits earned through Credit Flexibility. Students may also earn simultaneous credit (e.g. more than one academic content/course area, secondary and post secondary) and partial credit, as proposed and approved. Approval of credit flexibility plans and credits earned will be dependent upon the District’s capacity to implement them.  

Q: Which online courses can be used for Credit Flexibility options?

A: Students choosing online options are limited to those providers accredited by the North Central Association of Colleges and Universities or equivalent state/regional accredited institutions.

Q: Where can students and parents go to find information about Credit Flexibility?

A: Information about credit Flexibility can be found on the District’s website, the Ohio department of Education’s website and from their guidance counselor.

Q: How do students test out of a course or demonstrate mastery of content?

A: District developed and/or approved test/assessments used to determine sequence advancement and course credits will be given annually in May to facilitate planning for the subsequent year. PLP applications for credit by assessment are due on or before May 31st. To qualify for credit by assessment, the student must     score 80% to receive credit. A student failing to achieve this score may not apply for credit by assessment for the same course credit until the following school year. Any credit by assessment for a particular course may only be attempted two times.

Note: The National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) has limitations for testing out of courses that apply to student athletes planning to play at the  Division I and II levels. Student athletes should consult with their school’s athletic director and school counselor for additional information on athletic eligibility.

Q: How do students apply for Credit Flexibility?

A: Students choosing to earn high school credit through a credit flexibility option should first discuss this option with their parent/guardian, teacher and guidance counselor prior to completing an application. Students will meet again with their guidance counselor where they will be informed of all aspects of credit flexibility as well as determine how the proposal aligns with the students’ college and career readiness. During the session, the student will receive a credit flexibility application which they will complete with input from their teacher and under the supervision of their parents. The application will be reviewed by their guidance counselor and submitted to the Credit Flexibility Committee for final review and approval.

Q: What are the deadlines for applying for Credit Flexibility?

A: Applications for summer and first semester PLP must be submitted to the District Credit Flexibility Committee by May 31st of the previous school year. Applications for second semester PLP must be submitted by November 30th.

Q: When does the Credit Flexibility course have to be completed?

A: Typically, the same completion timeline as a traditional course will be used. All PLP’s must include benchmarks for monitoring progress to ensure steady     progress towards their academic learning goals, along with a completion deadline.

Q: If a student drops a Credit Flexibility option, does it turn into an F?

A: Students can drop a credit flexibility course before a predetermined deadline (the same as a traditional course) without penalty.

Q: Who reviews the Credit Flexibility Plan?

A: The application for the credit flexibility option will be reviewed by the Credit Flexibility Committee.

Q: How do students get a teacher to be the teacher of record?

A: Each student is responsible for contacting and obtaining agreement from a South Euclid-Lyndhurst School District teacher who is licensed by the State of Ohio to teach the course being accessed through credit flexibility.

Q: Does the teacher of record for a Credit Flexibility option have to be a South Euclid-Lyndhurst teacher?

A: Yes

Q: Are there fees that accompany Credit Flexibility options?

A: Students and/or their families are responsible for all costs incurred with credit flexibility options that occur outside the normal schedule.

Q: How will Credit Flexibility affect a student’s GPA?

A: Credits for courses that students take through any of the credit flexibility options will be reported on the students’ transcripts as regular classes, complete with letter or pass/fail grade which will figure into the GPA. 

Q: How will Credit Flexibility impact a student’s written educational plan (IEP 504, etc.)

A: Taking advantage of credit flexibility options requires careful consideration of     both long-term and short-term academic goals. Students with any kind of written education plan should meet with the teacher who facilitates the plan before any decisions are made about accessing credit flexibility options.

Q: Can a student who participates in sports outside of the school day earn Physical Education credit for these activities?

A: Simply being a member of a sports team - whether sponsored by the school or by a   community group - in and of itself is not a basis for earning Physical Education credit through the use of credit flexibility. Participation in a sports program not sponsored by the school could be the basis for creation of a credit flexibility option (e.g. competitive AAU swimmer at a school without a swimming team, private club gymnastics, private dancer who practices under the direction of a professional dance instructor and performs with a dance troupe). In all instances, the credit flexibility option must be developed with components that address the South Euclid-Lyndhurst course of study and elements within the Ohio Department of Education Physical Education Academic Content Standards.

Q: Can students take courses through Credit Flexibility and still play sports and/or participate in co-curricular activities?

A: Yes. Students using credit flexibility options are eligible for interscholastic athletics as long as they meet the eligibility requirements established by the Ohio High School Athletic Association (OSHAA). The student’s credit flexibility option must include procedures for documenting ongoing participation and satisfactory progress for the purpose of satisfying the OSHAA academic       eligibility requirements. Student athletes should check with their guidance counselor (NCAA Clearing House) and the school’s athletic director (OSHAA eligibility) for more information. Credit Flexibility students may also participate in non-athletic extracurricular activities as long as they meet requirements established by the SE-L Board of Education.

Q: Will a student’s participation in Credit Flexibility affect their college athletic eligibility or scholarship opportunities?

A: Students who plan to participate in athletics at the college level should be aware that some credit flexibility options may not be included as part of the NCAA Initial Eligibility Center’s qualifying core sources required for Division I eligibility. For potential college student athletes, the NCAA eligibility requirements specifically address the types of learning opportunities available through the credit flexibility policy. The NCAA has limitations for testing out of courses and does not allow such courses to be applied to core course eligibility requirements. Again, student athletes should consult their school’s athletic director and guidance counselor for additional information on athletic eligibility.

View text-based website